Re: Java User Groups Home Page

Aaron Hxoux

We used to have something like this on java.net but it required long term commitment... which is not in fashion these days...

best to let the community drive such an effort... and fund it... maybe through something like Patreon... where channel followers actual sponsor the content through direct donations....works quite effectively for YouTubers...

Best!

Aaron Houston

On Oct 2, 2020, at 7:14 AM, Nick Ebbitt <nickebbitt@...> wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

I think this is a great idea and something we should look to reignite.

In terms of exactly how, I'm unsure, but I thought maybe I could set up a Zoom call and those who are interested can join so we can discuss what's required to create an open and community driven hub for the world-wide JUG community.

What do you think?

Nick

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 13:48, Jonathan Vila <jonathan@...> wrote:
Brant good point........ as you mentioned , on DevNexus a group of JUG leaders created a Github repository to serve as the point of connection of all jugs, and easily modifiable by the community : https://github.com/wwjugs , twitter.com/WJugs

Then the virus came and the focus was lost.......

These were the initial ideas behind the repo :

WHY?
  • Enable active & up-to-date async communication channel
  • Exchange “best practices” & speakers information
  • Consolidated single source of truth
  • Provide one point of contact to know the different communication channels (tools).

WHAT?
(should be present)

  • General JUG’s Communication Channels
  • JUGS Map & Directory
    • Geolocation querying
    • Find JUGS
    • Space for each JUG ( definition, links, etc )
      • Name
      • Location
      • Website
      • Social media
      • Newsletter
      • Recurrent events
      • Q&A (redirect to the general Q&A section)
    • "Track" speakers
  • Newsletters?
  • Code of conduct
  • Q&A?
    • How to start a JUG?
    • How to contact a  specific JUG (redirection to “JUGS Map & Directory”)
    • How to use communication channels?
      • Brief description of What is and how to use a mailing list, slack, etc.
    • How to communicate with all the JUG’s at once (redirect to “General JUG’s Communication Channels”)
      • Specific topics discussions?
    • How can I contribute to this website?
    • Simple steps that one could perform to open an issue, improve or create new content, etc.

Probably it's a good moment to continue the initiatives @César Hernández Mendoza @ixchelruiz@... @slintz@...

Jonathan Vila
--
Barcelona Java Users Group Leader

El mié., 9 sept. 2020 a las 13:19, Brant Boehmann (<brant.boehmann@...>) escribió:
That site either needs to improve or we need something better. Does anyone know anything about the planned changes for the site? The need for update was discussed briefly at the JUG leaders summit at DevNexus in Atlanta back in February. Is Wincy Ip or any of the other Oracle JUG liaisons on this list and able to comment on any upcoming changes? I can't seem to even get my JUG listed on the current site.

Thanks
-Brant

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020, 6:08 AM Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
Hi all,