Re: Any advice on doing virtual meetups?

Wojciech Zięba

Hi Ondrej,
as Warsaw JUG we have had been taking advantage of the courtesy of Jakarta Eclipse Foundation in March this year. It was alright, but some of our attendants had problems with accessing the LIVE. It may have been caused by the high popularity of Crowdcast early in lockdown time, so take this into consideration. We quickly decided to move to StreamYard as a proxy webservice to stream directly to YouTube as YT is easy to access, no login required and it is easy to watch on different devices. We are very happy with StreamYard, as it does not have such a delay towards YT as Crowdcast have had and it is relatively cheap so we could afford it on our own :)

As to the organisation itself we only did live sessions so far and we are quite happy with number of live participants and viewers of the uploaded sessions. We also, from time to time, did a after-session meetup on Google Meet where people could just talk about the session or anything they want really. It was popular amongst the smaller part of our community, but it was to give people a piece of real, pre-covid, meeting, so it was fun too :)

StreamYard does not require any additional software to install to use it, you can just invite people to your live stream and manipulate it as a host.

If you have any questions regarding StreamYard (e.g. referrals that we can exchange for mutual benefit), feel free to write me directly.

Pozdrawiam / Regards
Wojciech Zięba
Community Leader
Warsaw JUG | warszawa.jug.pl

pon., 5 paź 2020 o 13:56 Ondrej Mihályi <ondrej.mihalyi@...> napisał(a):

Hi, I hope you're all doing well!

In our JUG in Prague we're now thinking about doing virtual meetups. I hope some of you who already organize virtual meetups would like to share some experience and advice.

How do you do virtual meetups? Are people interested, do enough people attend them or at least watch the recordings? Do you have live presenters or prerecorded sessions? Which software do you use for conferencing? Anything would help us to decide whether it's worth it in our area and get us started it we decide it is.

Ondro
CZJUG