Happy Holidays and Well Wishes

Sharat Chander

Esteemed Java User Group Leaders and Java Champions:

2020 has been an unusual year on so many levels. Yet, despite the abnormality of it all, I continue to take inspiration from all of you. We saw so much continued progress in the Java world around us; and it was humbling to see you participate in helping shape Java's future despite the challenges that the world threw at us.

It's been hard...like REALLY HARD, and I struggle to put into words what I'd like to convey. But, I stumbled upon my message I sent to all of you back in 2011. And it captures so much of what I want to share. So, here it is again with some modifications...

With calendar year 2011 2020 quickly coming to a close, in many parts of the world (including here in the U.S.) we'll begin to celebrate the holiday season.  While it's a time were we share gifts with the loved ones around us, it's also a time where we take pause to reflect on the successes (and sometime struggles) experienced over the past year.

While I don't serve as an official public voice for Oracle, I would like to personally take a moment to thank all of you for your honesty, perseverance and dedication in moving both Java and the community forward.  An amazing amount of progress has taken place these last several months - it's obvious that a continued renaissance is taking place in the Java ecosystem.  And all of you continue to play a critical role.  For that, I want to humbly say, "THANK YOU!"

It's my opinion that progress in both community and technology are only achievable through open and transparent dialog.  While we've had many positive conversations this past year despite so many barriers, on some occasions the dialog may have been perceived to be antagonistic.  On the contrary, I believe that in most healthy debates in life our passions sometimes can be misconstrued on both sides of the aisle.  I hope you trust me when I say we (as in Oracle) take our Java technical leadership and community stewardship very seriously.  And I think that continued progress and innovation will only come from staying connected.  I'm looking forward to calendar year 2021 and all the opportunities that will present itself where we can mutually communicate and work together to ensure Java remains the premier language and platform into the future. We celebrated 25 years of Java this year...let's make the next 25 years and beyond even better!

On a personal note, I wish you and your loved ones continued good health, happiness and prosperity.  May your holiday season and every day thereafter be filled with a sense of hope and well-being.

With profound respect and gratitude,

-Sharat