Re: [jc] JavaOne Conference Expansion

Alas, I wish this was a joking matter. I really truly hope I am wrong, but this makes me more than a little bit sad. Whether this is better or worse, it remains to be seen. What I am sure of at the moment is that it does not carry the same connection to Java or JavaOne for me and perhaps for many others that stood behind JavaOne for so long.

I really have to wonder if there was some other way to accomplish the same thing without putting JavaOne at the end of the road. That said, I know in my heart all the right people still at Oracle that truly care about the Java community cannot have let this happen frivolously.

On 4/20/2018 8:35 AM, Markus Eisele wrote:
*gigle* +1 :-D

On 20 April 2018 at 13:26, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geir@...> wrote:
Can’t resist...

On Apr 19, 2018, at 1:01 PM, Stephen Chin <@steveonjava> wrote:

More details in my blog post:
https://blogs.oracle.com/developers/javaone-event-expands-with-more-tracks-languages-and-communities-and-new-name
I remember when Stephen blogged about the Oracle acquiring Sun…

http s://blogs.sun.com/developers/sun-microsystems-expands-with-more-technologies-and-custmers-and-new-name

lede paragraph for those that can’t find that URL...

"The storied Silicon Valley technology company Sun Microsystems is expanding to create a new, bigger company that’s inclusive to more technologies, customers and revenues. Expect more a broader product line including ERP, Supply Chain, and HR along with more of the great proprietary database systems developers have come to expect. We’re calling the expanded company Oracle, and moving our headquarters to 500 Oracle Parkway, Redwood Shores, California.”

geir