A Few Announcements

Chad Arimura

Ok that was my bad. Frustration with mail clients. :)

New culpa.

Chad

On Sep 13, 2021, at 11:49, Chad Arimura <chad.arimura@oracle.com> wrote:

Wtf.

Copy pasted.

Hello JUG Leaders,

We wanted to give you all a quick preview of some announcements we will be making tomorrow, 9/14.

First, Mark will be proposing a shift of the JDK LTS release cadence from three years, to two years. The LTS release following JDK 17 would thus be JDK 21 (in 2023), rather than JDK 23 (in 2024).

This change would, if accepted, have no effect on the main-line feature releases developed in the JDK Project [1]. Every such release is intended to be stable and ready for production use, whether it’s an LTS release or not [2].

Additionally, we will be launching a new site for Java developers called Dev.java. Initially our goal is to introduce a set of updated tutorials that help developers up-level their skills while learning about Java's great new features, but we see the site evolving into much more, including a way to get more information out about the JUG program as a whole, and individual JUGs.

We have a few things we’d like to ship, including a Java Playground to run snippets of code, over the coming weeks, but after that we’ll reach out to start figuring out how to collaborate on a deeper level.

We hope that you share in our enthusiasm that this will accelerate the Java ecosystem as a whole, and in our excitement that Java just continues to get better and better!

Chad, Sharat, David, Denys, Nicolai, José, Billy

[1] https://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/
[2] https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2021-May/005543.html

Chad Arimura
Java Developer Relations