Houston JUG meeting July 27th: OpenRewrite: Making your source code fix itself (upgrade of Java 8 -> 11 and more made easy)

Jim Bethancourt

Hi fellow JUG leaders!
Jonathan Schneider has offered to show how to create recipes of OpenRewrite at this month's Houston JUG meeting.  It'll be both in-person and virtual - please forward to your members if you think they'll be interested.
If you'd like to amplify on Twitter, you can RT https://twitter.com/jimbethancourt/status/1547977301710647298

If you've been asked to upgrade your Java codebase or a framework or library version in the past, you know it can be a lot of work!  OpenRewrite, a set of open source tools / libraries, makes this task much easier with the capabilities it provides.  Jonathan Schneider, creator of OpenRewrite and CEO and co-founder of Moderne, will show us what it is and how to use it.

A few examples that are available on https://docs.openrewrite.org
Java 8 --> Java 11
Spring Boot 1 --> Spring Boot 2
JUnit 4 --> JUnit 5
Log4j --> SLF4J

RSVP
If you're in the Houston area, I ask that you please attend in person - Jonathan is flying in from Seattle and it would be great to have a good turnout.

Thank you to our sponsors!
Thank you to Improving for hosting the meeting and thank you to our door prize sponsors for providing great door prizes!

AgileLearner.com - 1 year subscription
Hello2Morrow.com - 1 year SonarGraph license
JetBrains.com - 1 year IntelliJ Ultimate license
Structure101.com - 1 year Structure 101 IDE plugin license
Webucator.com - voucher for one online self-paced course

See you there!
Jim