Subject: Re: [jc] Java one at Oracle cloud world agenda available
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 15:38:26 -0700
From: Sharat Chander <sharat.chander@...>
To: javachampions@groups.io
CC: sharat.chander@..., Chad Arimura <chad.arimura@...>

Justin and JC’s,

I’ve read what you and your JC peers have commented on with respect to JavaOne. All I can say is…please accept my apologies. JavaOne has deep-rooted emotional meaning to all of us, and because we fell short of our commitment to engage you all early and often, I understand your feelings and concerns.

There’s a lot to unpack, so I’m going to try and offer context on some of the concerns you’ve collectively brought up. But before doing that, let me suggest an olive branch. How about we setup a bi-weekly JavaOne update call? If there’s interest, I can set one up, and for folks who can’t dial in we will post updates here on this mailing list. Just know that recording the call would not be possible.

Okay, let me dive in:

Over a year ago when we began this journey to build the justification for the re-introduction of JavaOne, we knew going in that we needed to address that it’s been over 5 years since the last instance, as well as the multiple years we’ve all endured without the ability for any physical events.

For JavaOne to be JavaOne, it has to align with the historical emotional connection we all have while also accounting for the passage of time and new-world circumstances, which requires new approaches.

Oracle is going through the same re-introduction process of its own flagship event, renamed to CloudWorld, relocated to an entirely new state. This has created several opportunities, as well as some constraints. Let’s talk about some of those.

You’re right. We are re-introducing JavaOne in a measured approach. This has put some limitations on the number of external talks we can currently accept. We are actively working on this, but with that constraint currently in place, between the Java Platform Group talks and hand-picked community talks, it does not make sense to run a CfP with a single-digit acceptance rate.

That said, it’s been our intention to find room for folks on this list to participate and we will beg, borrow, and steal our way to providing a speaking platform for all of you, the Java leaders, that have helped get the ecosystem to where it is today. We will work on details and communicate them as soon as we know more, maybe on one of our proposed upcoming calls.

We believe this “CfP-less” process will only be for this year.

Now let’s talk JavaOne pavilion, space, and experience. This, we believe, will be the biggest leap “forward” (back?) to making JavaOne the “academy award” conference that everyone expects.

We will have a large, unique, dedicated space for JavaOne and many of the exhibition hall experiences you’re familiar with such as a dedicated presentation theater, a Duke photo-op area, Hackergarten, community wall showcasing community stories, demo stations, and more. When we’re able to share an exhibition hall blueprint, we will, but what I can tell you is that it is large, like, Las Vegas large, and not hidden beneath escalators or tucked in a corner. This is another opportunity for collaboration we can talk about.

Getting to the number of days. Yes, the initial announcement was Oct 16-20…and that is still the intent for JavaOne. Move in starts on Oct 17 and the actual conference content (ie keynote, sessions, HOLs, tutorials, BOFs, exhibition hall) will happen on Oct 18-20. On Oct 16-17, our intent is to hold activities such as the Java Geek Bike Ride, Java Geek Run, Java Leader’s Summit, Java Leader’s Reception, and other community focused activities so they don’t compete with the conference content.

Now, keynotes. There absolutely will be a Java community keynote and we’re not only going to need your help but also your participation. We’ll pull JCs in who have interest into this conversation when ready to discuss. The keynote hall is also Las Vegas Large.

I know this may only cover some of the areas surfaced…but again, we’re happy to hold a call moving forward to keep you updated and for sure offer more open and transparent updates on this mailing list based on what we’re able to share.

This may not mean much, but our silence has definitely not meant lack of activity. The amount of time and passion we have put into the return of JavaOne has been beyond huge. It’s been a long and arduous process and threading this needle has not been a trivial matter. But none of that matters without you, our champions, and at the end of the day, we came up short. Again, I’m truly sorry.

So here we are. We have 3 months and change and we’re working as damn hard as we can internally to make this an event to remember. Can we turn the page now and do this together? Please understand that we have constraints, and opportunities (!), both of which we can go into more detail on our first call.

Do note that by communicating this here, we understand that this information may get out, but we ask that you try and hold off on public communication until we have had a chance to post a public statement next week.

Thank you for continuing to be a major part of the Java story. Feel free to reach out to me, Chad, or anyone from the Java Developer Relations team if you’d like to setup personal 1-1 sessions to discuss. We’ll make time for some of you. OK just kidding.

Sharat (and Chad and team)

On 6/16/22 12:43 PM, Justin Lee wrote:

I'm also confused and terribly disappointed at the direction things seem to be going.  We were told "java one is back!" and we all rejoiced.  But what I'm looking at now looks like nothing more than a technical track tacked on to the (under)side of "Oracle Cloud World."  A more unrelated and irrelevant conference for most Java developers I'd be hard pressed to find.  With only, what?, 4 dozen or so sessions listed and no CFP, this is not Java One.  When Oracle killed JavaOne the last, it gave the impression that Oracle doesn't really care about the community.  What I'm seeing so far seems like "second verse same as the first."
  • Will we have our own vendor floor?  At the last Code One, we had a small corner tucked away under the stairs like we were Harry Potter at the Dursleys.  And even that was half filled.  It felt very much like a begrudging half effort in our direction.
  • Will we have our social spaces or will be tossed in amongst the suits of Oracle customers again?  Obviously we can't have the Mason Street tent as that will be hundreds of miles away.  But having that dedicated social space was a significant factor in conference enjoyment for so many people.  In addition, there were ancillary events like the bike ride, the JC summit, the JUG leader summit, etc.  Are those still on the table or have they been scrapped, too?
  • With the pandemic (not really) behind us and restrictions easing up, I realize there's value in moving slowly but this isn't it.  We've already seen several major conferences back on stages singing their tunes full throated.  We can do JavaOne better than what we're seeing.  JavaOne is a fantastic brand and I'd hate to see it destroyed and morphed into nothing more than a sales vehicle for Oracle Cloud.
  • We were promised a CFP and yet, in spite of being well past the traditional time of announcement of a CFP, we have seen no indication that one is forthcoming.  The fall is a busy time and if speakers are going to be added to the slate of those already included, the time to open up that CFP was last month.  Will there be community experts and input contributing to that slate of speakers or just Oracle chosen talks?
  • Sharat's blog post said Oct 16 - 20 but the event site says 17 - 20.  So which is it?  3 days is a bit of a step down from JavaOne of days past.
  • Will we get our own keynotes?  Or do we have to elbow our way into OCW keynotes which will almost certainly be utterly irrelevant to "JavaOne" attendees?  In the past we've had both technical and community keynotes but looking through the content tab, i see nothing of the sort.
I know there are a lot of things probably still in motion but so far this feels pretty disappointing.  It's not looking at all like what I thought we were getting and not very much like something that I would want to be a part of.  It's all a mess in my head right.  I hope we can get some clarification from Oracle but time is running out.  Conference organizers aren't the only ones who have to plan months in advance.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 11:31 PM Henri Tremblay <henri.tremblay@...> wrote:
My guess is that this is the current lineup of talks from Oracle.
And that there are no speakers because they are not all defined yet.

And there was no CFP so far from as far as I know.

Am I guessing correctly?

On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 at 22:09, Alan Williamson <alan@...> wrote:
The sessions, while listed, have no names on them ... so i am really confused now.

Did we miss the CFP announcement?  or are they looking now for people to deliver each of these talks?

Any word on complimentary passes for JC like in previous years?  Hell if we can't present, at least let us come and listen

--
  Alan Williamson

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022, at 21:43, Kito Mann wrote:
I’m totally confused…so if we wanted to present we should have just submitted to Cloudworld!!? Is there any opportunity for submitting Java talks at all this year?

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 6:27 PM Hillmer Chona <hillmer.chona@...> wrote:

Hi all

I just figured that Java One 2022 Registration and Agenda is available

Regards,
Hillmer

muktesh mishra

Thank you Sharat and team.

On behalf of our JUGs, we would like to be a part of the updates (via all mediums).

As others highlighted in the email thread below, JavaOne has been more than a conference for us over the years.
Last but not the least please let us know if you need any help going forward.

Best!
Sunnyvale JUG

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 15:38:26 -0700
From: Sharat Chander <sharat.chander@...>
To: javachampions@groups.io
[...]

Anton Arhipov

No CFP is fine. It could have been transparent and honest from the beginning. Otherwise, it all breaks the expectations of people who make the community and read "Javazone" as the conference title.

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022, 02:24 muktesh mishra <mukteshkrmishra@...> wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I meant to write "JavaOne", of course

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022, 02:43 Anton Arhipov via groups.io <ant.arhipov=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Vincent Mayers

I get a sense that the Java team is stuck between a rock and a hard place re all this. Having worked at oracle I can attest to the fact that getting things done is hard, and it’s no minor thing they are trying to do so, despite  how things have transpired to date let’s try to support them and give them some grace as their motivations come from the right place.

Cheers
Vincent

@vincentmayers