Topics

[offtopic?] openjdk11 on linux distros (not everywhere)

Mihail Stoynov, jug.bg

Kind of off-topic,
I was curious is the java community somehow involved with when a distro releases a package for a major java version?

I checked most distros and for example Arch should quickly add a new package. They still haven't.
  • Alpine - no package (expected?)
    • missing 9 and 10
  • Debian - no package (expected?)
    • missing 9 and 10
  • Ubuntu - there is a package
  • Fedora - there is a package
  • Arch - no package
  • CentOS - no package (expected?)
  • OpenSUSE - no package (expected?)

Most of the time I'm just doing
`pkg_mgr search openjdk`

Mihail

Martijn Verburg

The Distros are kind of expected to work with the OpenJDK community - it’s fair to say that relationship isn’t as close as it could be.

It’s one of the things I’m working on with adoptopenjdk - we will provide distor packages and will work with the maintainers to see if they are willing to take those

--
Cheers, Martijn (Sent from Gmail Mobile)

Marcus Fihlon (JUG.CH)

I never use the JDK from the distros. They are not flexible enough for my needs as a developer. I prefer installing SDKMAN to manage the JDK, Kotlin, Gradle and some other stuff. With SDKMAN you can have multiple versions in parallel, which is very handy. I highly recommend you to take a look at SDKMAN:

jm2c
Marcus

Am 11.10.2018 um 20:06 schrieb Mihail Stoynov, jug.bg <mihail@...>:

Kind of off-topic,
I was curious is the java community somehow involved with when a distro releases a package for a major java version?

I checked most distros and for example Arch should quickly add a new package. They still haven't.
  • Alpine - no package (expected?)
    • missing 9 and 10
  • Debian - no package (expected?)
    • missing 9 and 10
  • Ubuntu - there is a package
  • Fedora - there is a package
  • Arch - no package
  • CentOS - no package (expected?)
  • OpenSUSE - no package (expected?)

Most of the time I'm just doing
`pkg_mgr search openjdk`

Mihail

ags

Yes, plus ubuntu openjdk 11 was a 10 when I last checked (Oracle Cloud VM).

Best,
ags

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 19:06, Mihail Stoynov, jug.bg <mihail@...> wrote:
Kind of off-topic,
I was curious is the java community somehow involved with when a distro releases a package for a major java version?

I checked most distros and for example Arch should quickly add a new package. They still haven't.
  • Alpine - no package (expected?)
    • missing 9 and 10
  • Debian - no package (expected?)
    • missing 9 and 10
  • Ubuntu - there is a package
  • Fedora - there is a package
  • Arch - no package
  • CentOS - no package (expected?)
  • OpenSUSE - no package (expected?)

Most of the time I'm just doing
`pkg_mgr search openjdk`

Mihail

--
ags

Richard Warburton

Hi,

I was curious is the java community somehow involved with when a distro releases a package for a major java version?

I checked most distros and for example Arch should quickly add a new package. They still haven't.
  • Debian - no package (expected?)
    • missing 9 and 10

Debian releases slowly and supports their release model for a long period of time. The current stable release of Debian is 9, which was released before Java 9 was released. Debian sid, which is a rolling release of up to date stuff that hasn't been released as a distro, contains packages for openjdk-10 and openjdk-11 by the looks of things. (https://packages.debian.org/sid/allpackages?format=txt.gz) This indicates that they would be in a future version.

regards,

  Richard Warburton