Topics

Reliable List of JUGs?

I am trying to figure out some northeast local and US national JUGs to visit this year and was a little surprised by how incomplete this resource is: https://community.oracle.com/community/java/jug. How do I go about finding out what a reliable list of JUGs in existence is? In the Sun era, you could at least get a comprehensive list of JUGs, many of whom are not necessarily all that active. It can't be that JUGs are just dying out except for a handful of the largest ones?

Can someone from Oracle kindly sort this out? I would be shocked if it was more than about a week's work to get people to update that semi-official map of JUGs?

Do I need to go about trawling through meetup.com to figure this out?

Martijn Verburg

IIRC the map that is on the JUG home page or champions page is a google map with pins for JUGs, java champions etc. I don’t have the URL handy sorry

--
Cheers, Martijn (Sent from Gmail Mobile)

Jim Bethancourt

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 2:18 PM Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
[...]

Sadly Bruno's list appears more complete than the JUGs map. What is needed is reaching out to the active JUG leaders and make sure they update the map that's on this page now: https://community.oracle.com/community/java/jug.

I know I don't have the spare time to do that and wonder if anyone from the community should even be burdened with such a thankless task. I believe this is what Sun's JUG community manager did back in the day to keep an updated list?

On 5/30/2018 3:21 PM, Jim Bethancourt wrote:

[...]

Should just get crowdsourced - we should all be here or on the slack group I’d have thought

On Wed, 30 May 2018 at 21:29, reza_rahman <reza_rahman@...> wrote:
[...]

Quite honestly, I am not at all sure who is on this list any more and who is not. I think at some point in time in the past, this alias used to be more complete and up-to-date itself. Again, what's probably missing is ownership and some central coordination.

Maybe even the folks on this list are not updating the map? Even that would go a long way I would think.

On 5/30/2018 3:42 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
[...]

OK, this is definitely weird. Looking into it, the information for the Philly JUG on that map is inaccurate/out-of-date. How do I go about fixing that? I tried logging in via my LinkedIn account with no success at all. Who is the administrator for that map? Anyone here?

On 5/30/2018 3:51 PM, Reza Rahman wrote:
[...]

Vladimir Dejanovic

Person who enterted that info on map can change it.

For example I can change AmsterdamJUG data but not other data

On Wed, 30 May 2018, 23:22 reza_rahman, <reza_rahman@...> wrote:
[...]

Even more weird. So it seems I was able to entirely delete and re-create the entry for the Philly JUG but the changes are still pending.

Maybe people aren't updating this simply because it is a very clunky interface?

On 5/30/2018 5:22 PM, Reza Rahman wrote:
[...]

It shows my email in the contact. Seemingly I created it but honestly don't remember. Shouldn't I be able to just log in and update? How did you log in?

On 5/30/2018 5:35 PM, Vladimir Dejanovic wrote:
[...]

I used same credentials which I used when I registered to that map system ( mapme.com)

To be honest I forgot which username and password I used, so it wasn't easy task, but luckily I found my notes with credentials and was able to modify info after that.

Kind Regards
--
Vladimir Dejanovic
AmsterdamJUG

On Wed, 30 May 2018, 23:42 reza_rahman, <reza_rahman@...> wrote:
[...]

Nichole Scott

Hi Reza (and all!),

Apologies for my delay in chiming in on this thread as I was out yesterday for a family matter. This message is very timely and something I am working to rectify. I'm currently putting plans in place to get a survey link to all JUGs on this list to get current information about all active groups so I can at least get a simple list together of active JUGs to publish on the JUG page.

I will be sending the link out asap - stay tuned!
Thank you,
Nichole

On May 30, 2018, at 10:35 AM, reza_rahman <reza_rahman@...> wrote:

I am trying to figure out some northeast local and US national JUGs to visit this year and was a little surprised by how incomplete this resource is: https://community.oracle.com/community/java/jug. How do I go about finding out what a reliable list of JUGs in existence is? In the Sun era, you could at least get a comprehensive list of JUGs, many of whom are not necessarily all that active. It can't be that JUGs are just dying out except for a handful of the largest ones?

Can someone from Oracle kindly sort this out? I would be shocked if it was more than about a week's work to get people to update that semi-official map of JUGs?

Do I need to go about trawling through meetup.com to figure this out?

Nichole Scott | Director, User Group Relationship Management, North America
Mobile: +1 408 839 4078
Oracle Global Customer Programs

3295 NW 211th Terrace
Hillsboro, OR 97124

If you do not want to receive any emails from Nichole Scott in the future, please reply to nichole.scott@...

Chandra Guntur

Can we also consolidate the communication channel information on the same page? Both jug leader comms (this email address, slack etc) as well as individual JUG contacts (email, twitter, black etc.. to coordinate speaking engagements). For instance, how many people know to reach, say, Mike Sebetich for the Pittsburgh JUG?

FWIW, I don't see the NYJavaSIG show on the community page.

Thanks,
CVG.

On May 31, 2018, at 12:34, Nichole Scott <nichole.scott@...> wrote:
[...]

Did any of this ever get resolved? I am once again in need of reaching out to JUGs around the Netherlands and beyond. Once again unsure of exactly how I get up-to-date and accurate information. The apparently unofficial JUG map that's there now is really quite inadequate.

On 5/30/2018 1:35 PM, Reza Rahman wrote:
I am trying to figure out some northeast local and US national JUGs to visit this year and was a little surprised by how incomplete this resource is: https://community.oracle.com/community/java/jug. How do I go about finding out what a reliable list of JUGs in existence is? In the Sun era, you could at least get a comprehensive list of JUGs, many of whom are not necessarily all that active. It can't be that JUGs are just dying out except for a handful of the largest ones?

Can someone from Oracle kindly sort this out? I would be shocked if it was more than about a week's work to get people to update that semi-official map of JUGs?

Do I need to go about trawling through meetup.com to figure this out?

Vladimir Dejanovic

There is

that is it, as far as I am aware in Netherlands at least.

Kind Regards
--
Vladimir Dejanovic
AmsterdamJUG

On 23 July 2018 at 20:22, reza_rahman <reza_rahman@...> wrote:
[...]

Thodoris Bais

Hey Reza,

Exactly what Vladimir fore-mentioned.

I see no link for Utrecht JUG, though, so, here you go: http://meetu.ps/c/2JdQj/kBS3T/d

Regards,
Thodoris

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 21:33 Vladimir Dejanovic, <ed.wong.iv@...> wrote:
[...]

* sorry, wrong link pasted.

Regards,
Thodoris

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 23:55 Thodoris Bais, <thodoris.bais@...> wrote:
[...]

Barry Evans

Martijn, could you give me the slack details so i can join?

Barry Evans

I have not been able to add the DubJUG details to the map, but I did drill down to the EMEA User Groups page, and I have emailed leigh.burke@... directly to request an update to the page, as she was the last person to edit it.

I will respond to the list if I was able to get the DubJUG details added or not.

Antón R. Yuste